(image: Hasegawa Tohaku - Shōrin-Zu Byōbu)

Disconcerted Sounds Last.fm Group - here. A curiosity if nothing more...

Wednesday 29 July 2009

Matthew Lovett & Ian Watson - Untitled

Delays, delays, don't we all hate them?
Well, I have to say that I don't when I'm the cause but I do apologise for the length it takes me every now and then to get something new together. This one has been intended for at least a week now and I really hope you'll agree that it was well worth the wait.

You may remember one of the earlier posts containing the 3" CD of Ian Watson & Mark Jolliffe's 'Leaf Skeleton', well, since then Ian has kindly been in touch - don't believe the post and the email were related, so slightly coincidental timing - and has kindly sent me some of his new material.
You can find some new tracks over on his Myspace page, but in my opinion this is the piece really worth listening to. No title to the CD or track as far as I'm aware, but I may correct that with time...

Just one, 16 minute long piece, definitely worth the download.
It's rather mechanical and noisey, not something completely wild. Maybe scratch some of your noise/drone CDs and you'll be on your way to this.
The start sounds like twisting metal out in the countryside, or a lo-fi recording of metallic instruments tuning up where the musicians are slowly working on how to bow their crazy contraptions. Then there's a synth sweep and the engine gets going, the instruments wake up and everything begins to rise.
Around the six minute mark the piece begins to gather momentum but things really start to kick in around nine minutes in with strong, sharp tones and the widest expanses following.

Give it a try. If you're finding the start slow and get tempted to move on, don't. Leave it running. Just let it do the rounds. Obviously I'm not going to force you, but as a complete piece this is excellent.

Download / Myspace

---------------------------
There will probably be another update on Friday/Saturday and I'll have a dig around for new releases to include with that.

Do go and check out Lex's new Olbas Noise site for some new Guanaco and Beggin' Your Pardon Miss Joan. The 3 new BYPMJ tracks are some beautiful folk that I'd especially recommend.

1 comment:

disconcerted said...

Sorry, somehow this became password protected on mediafire - didn't even realise that was possible! - but should be downloadable now. Please say if there are any more problems.